Here's some sound advice from North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service about the safe use of naked flames, such as candles, during this festive period
Our local fire and rescue service has some sound advice as we celebrate Christmas: "As a fire and rescue service we often talk about alternative products to candles, but we do understand the significance candles play in many religious events and celebrations."
On these occasions, and when candles are a part of such events, we would like to offer some guidance for their safe use.
- When possible, secure candles in a purpose-made holder and keep away from materials that may catch fire, such as curtains
- Children and pets should never be left alone in the same room as candles
- Put out any candles when you leave a room and make sure they are completely out at night
- Be aware burning several candles close together can cause ‘flaring’
- Keep loose clothing aware from the flame of a candle
- If an item of clothing does catch fire, REMEMBER STOP, DROP AND ROLL
And please always remember, if you need us, we are only a phone call away.